Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Low-Carb Craver #3... Mashed Potatoes

Time for another low-carb craver! Potatoes are one of the few vegetables that are very high in carbohydrates (probably the highest carb vegetable of them all). So what about the classic mashed potatoes and gravy side dish?! It’s my favorite. My mom emailed me a great idea for a substitute: cauliflower! Sounds crazy right? It was actually good! We just steamed some cauliflower, mashed it up, and put gravy on top. The only big difference between the mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes (besides the amount of carbs of course) was the texture. The texture of the cauliflower was not as smooth as the mashed potatoes. We liked it though.

I’m totally fine with eating actual potatoes once in a while but this is good substitute when you don’t want to totally “carb-out” (as Jaren says J)

1 comment:

  1. That is a good idea. My sister in law has done that before and we liked it too. I don't know if they have as many carbs as regular potatoes, but mashed sweet potatoes or yams are also really good! :)

    ReplyDelete