Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Walgreens Parking Lot Drama

Today, as Jaren and I parked in the Walgreens parking lot, I took the keys out of the ignition, put them in my purse and then left my purse in the car. This was not the first time I had locked the keys in our car and I wasn't happy. Jaren was sweet as always about the whole situation which I was grateful for. We were at Walgreens to pick up Jaren's insulin prescription (he has type I diabetes) which is not cheap and so it was a bit disheartening to think that we would now have to pay to get our car unlocked.
A month ago we moved to Phoenix AZ and so we had no idea which locksmith to call. We ended up calling a few different places and then went with the locksmith that said it would cost "$45 and up". That should have been our first red flag! When the technician came, he looked at our car and said that it would cost $150. One hundred and fifty dollars for the 2 minute procedure to unlock our car! Because this has happened before (many times) we knew that it should only cost about $30-$50. We expressed this concern and he said that he could lower it to $100. We were tired and hungry and so not wanting to wait for another technician, we took the deal.

I know that this little locked out experience isn't a big deal but it made me think. I believe that it can be easy to let the little things that happen to us affect us more then they need to. Life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we deal with it. This "lovely" experience in the Walgreens parking lot could have been what ruined our night. Yeah, it wasn't how we would have chosen to spend our evening but looking back I can see some positive aspects. We spent the time while we waited for the technician talking and laughing as we leaned against our car. We had an excuse to eat at McDonalds afterwards because it was way past dinner time (I love their double cheeseburgers!). Plus, it gave me an opportunity to think and double check myself to see if I am making the most out of the situations in my life that I don't have control over.

This Walgreen story is a bit silly, but the lesson I learned was not. Life is not about what happens to us, it is how we chose to deal with it that counts.

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring Sarah! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I am SO glad you started a blog! I miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Yay for blogging...Boo for expensive car stuff! Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete