Sunday, May 15, 2011

Talents

Sports, playing instruments, singing, dancing, painting: these are the kinds of things that people think of when they hear the word "talents." Yet, there are so many other talents that we may not recognize as such. Talents such as relating to others, optimism, thinking clearly in stressful times, being content, problem solving, being productive, listening, and asking are some of the ones that come to my mind. Today, Jaren and I talked about different talents that each of us have that we may not recognize as talents. I recommend doing that! Recognizing a talent makes it possible for us to expand and continue to grow that particular talent more then we may have otherwise.

I believe that developing new talents is just as important as continuing to develop our current ones. This past week, Jaren and I decided that we wanted to start to develop a brand new talent. To do this, we have chosen to take one of our current talents and help to teach each other. Every Sunday, I am going to give Jaren a 30 minute music/voice lesson and Jaren is going to give me a 30 minute Spanish lesson. Today was our first week of doing this and it was awesome! I'm determined to become fluent enough in Spanish that I can use it in my chosen field (Social Work) and help Jaren to teach it to our children. Jaren's goal with developing his new talent is to one day be able to sing a public duet with me.

If we have faith and courage to develop new talents, I know that the Lord with help us. God can make weak things become strong in us. "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Pick a new talent and begin! We totally got this! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Sarah you are my favorite! I'm so glad that we were able to meet you guys and become such good friends! You guys are SO fun, and you are so uplifting and a great example to me. You really are such a good example and you inspire me to be better. Thank you for being so great! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I loved your music video. I showed Hans. You guys crack us up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph! You are the best! I'm so glad that we became friends. I miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete