Saturday, June 18, 2011

Water Where You Stand

"There is nothing to do here!" I have heard this complaint sometimes from people living in my hometown of Rexburg, Idaho. I grew up in Rexburg and then decided to go to college there as well. I spent a semester in Ephraim, Utah at Snow College and another semester in Bakersfield California, but the rest was in Rexburg.

Now that Jaren and I live in the 6th largest city in the United States, there sure is a lot to do and see. While being here in Phoenix, we have been able to do things that are not available to do in Rexburg. There are constantly concerts, professional sports games and other big events throughout the city. And yet, we are still just as happy, no happier, than we were in the small town of Rexburg. Our funnest and most special times are still those simple moments: having a movie night on our 18" TV, going on a walk at sundown, making a sugary treat to share while we play a card game.

Coming from experience, I know how easy it is to notice the "greener grass" on the other side. It is easy to believe that life would be better if we were somewhere else or were doing other things. But I believe that the grass is green where you water it. Water where you stand!

This song by Darius Rucker puts what I am trying to say in a nutshell. It is one of my favorite songs because of its great message. Listen to it :) I think you will like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment